To transfer a vehicle into your name, you must have an Iowa driver’s license, Iowa state issued photo ID or Social Security number. If you do not have an Iowa driver's license, you must present your original Social Security card at the time of transfer.
- The original title with the "Assignment of Title" completed by the seller and buyer. In Iowa, this is located on the back of the title. Read carefully before completing the assignment of title. Alterations or erasures will void the title. The title must be transferred within thirty days from the date of sale to avoid penalty. The name and signature of the seller must be the same as it appears on the front of the title. If the vehicle has an Iowa title, and two owners are listed with the word "AND" to the right of their names, both owners must sign the back of the title. If the vehicle has an Iowa title, and the word "OR" appears to the right of their names, either owner can sign as seller. Each state has different signature requirements based upon the conjunction between names. Call our office if the vehicle has an out of state title. (712) 737-2222
- An "Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration" that has been completed and signed by all persons to be listed as owners on the new title. You cannot place a person’s name on a vehicle title without their personal information and signature on the application for title.
- If the vehicle is model year 2011 or newer, the odometer reading must be completed on the back of the Iowa title BY THE SELLER with no tenths.
- If the vehicle is seven years old, or newer, the “Damage Disclosure Statement” must be completed on the back of the Iowa title. An out of state title will require a separate Damage Disclosure Statement to be completed by the Iowa buyer.
- A purchase agreement or bill of sale is required for all vehicles and trailers purchased from a dealer or retail store.
- Call the Sioux County Motor Vehicle Office (712) 737-2222 to ensure you have all necessary documents, signatures and information. Please have your paperwork in hand when calling.
The above requirements do not cover special circumstances that frequently occur such as leased vehicles, trusts, gifts, use of power of attorney, transfers upon death and many other situations. In these cases, please call our office before making an unnecessary trip (712) 737-2222.
This is general information only. Nothing is guaranteed until we see all completed, original documents in our office. Transfers cannot be completed by mail.